Re: default messaging/VoIP client for Debian 8/Jessie

First of all, I agree that we should provide a system that is as usable
as possible.  If a desktop environment such as Gnome chooses to use an
inferior product, we don't have to let _our_ users suffer from that
choice.  Having a client which integrates well with the system is nice,
but what's more important is having one that actually works for
communication with others (including video, audio, chat, encryption, and
including communication with people who don't use Debian, or even
something GNU-based).

On Tue, Apr 01, 2014 at 11:50:33AM -0500, Ean Schuessler wrote:
> "Java sux" is so 1990s. Java produces faster results than most of the
> other advanced languages (python, ruby, perl, etc.), has better support
> for threads, an enormous range of support libraries and is Free
> Software.

That may be true, but when I tried running Jitsi some time ago and it
didn't work, the first thing I was told was "You need to use Oracle's
JVM" (which is non-free).

(From Daniel's message I take it that problem is resolved?  I'll try it
again then.  Btw: thanks Daniel for all your work on this!)

I see the problem of all the bloat that comes with Java, but it is
minor.  The main problem is still
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/java-trap.html
In particular
> To reliably ensure your Java programs run fine in a free environment,
> you need to develop them using IcedTea. Theoretically the Java
> platforms should be compatible, but they are not compatible 100
> percent.

Thanks,
Bas