Re: default messaging/VoIP client for Debian 8/Jessie

On 30/03/14 11:22, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 5:04 PM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>
>> Currently, Empathy is installed by default
>
> The default desktop is now Xfce, which doesn't use Empathy.
>
> http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/main/t/tasksel/unstable_changelog

Their wiki doesn't emphasize any particular IM/VoIP client, although
Jitsi is mentioned there:

   https://wiki.xfce.org/recommendedapps

Even if no client is installed by the default window manager package's
declared dependencies, it is still quite reasonable to include an
IM/VoIP client (such as Jitsi) in task-desktop for example.

> If you want GNOME to switch from Empathy to jitsi I think that would
> be a conversation that should be had with upstream, not with Debian. I
> doubt they would be interested in it due to the Java requirement
> though.

Whichever desktop is in use, why does Debian have to accept what
upstream recommends as an IM/VoIP client if we know something else is
going to give users far greater chance of success?