Re: Preparing openjpeg 2.0

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 5:44 PM, Cameron Norman
<camerontnorman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 4:38 AM, Mathieu Malaterre <malat@debian.org> wrote:
>>

>>   Which way should I go:
>>
>> 1. Upload a src:openjpeg1 which will contains the legacy openjpeg 1.x
>> branch and src:openjepg will get openjpeg 2.x or
>> 2. Upload a new src:openjpeg2 with the goal to get rid of src:openjpeg
>> in a couple of debian release.
>

> The former has the problem of people depending on openjpeg already and using
> the 1.x API. Having a new package for the v2 API is better because people
> have to explicitly use the new package+API, and they do not experience
> sudden breakage.

Unless I missed your point: It did work somewhat ok for tiff3/tiff4
source packages AFAIK. No-one depends on source packages directly,
right ?

Let me clarify again, I use src: and :i386 (why not?) for disambiguation:

Today we have:

src:openjpeg

which produces

libopenjpeg5:i386
libopenjpeg-dev:i386

Tomorrow is there a difference in having:

Scenario #1

src:openjpeg
src:openjpeg1 [meant to disappear]

which produces (in that order):