Re: RSA vs ECDSA (Was: Bits from keyring-maint: Pushing keyring updates. Let us bury your old 1024D key!)

On Wed, 05 Mar 2014, peter green wrote:
> Also ECDSA shares with DSA the serious disadvantage over RSA that
> making signatures on a system with a broken RNG can reveal the key.

I believe that we should avoid ECDSA gnupg keys and subkeys like the plague
for the time being.

You'd most likely get ECDSA keys using the NIST p-curves out of gnupg, and
these p-curves are suspected to be backdoored.  AFAIK, better curves are
available only on the latest development versions of gnupg 2.1, and the
difficulties do not end there: the keyservers are also going to be a problem
for such keys and subkeys for a while yet.

IMHO, we should stick with 4096-bit RSA for the main key for the time being,
and use short expire dates for the *subkeys* (2 years or less).

Refer to http://safecurves.cr.yp.to/  for more details on elliptic curves
for crypto.

PS: NIST p-curves are also a potential problem on OpenSSH and DNSSEC.

  Henrique Holschuh