RSA vs ECDSA (Was: Bits from keyring-maint: Pushing keyring updates. Let us bury your old 1024D key!)

I am not sure what's the timeframe for GnuPG 2.1.0[1] release, but would
it be possible to skip the RSA and go directly for ECDSA, before we
start deprecating DSA? Or at least have an option to do so? (Well,
unless GnuPG 2.1 release is too much far in the future.)
IMO we need to phase out 1024 bit RSA/DSA keys as soon as reasonablly practical. Even if gnupg 2.1 was released tomorrow we would still have the problem of Debian stable releases and other distros carrying older versions.

Also ECDSA shares with DSA the serious disadvantage over RSA that making signatures on a system with a broken RNG can reveal the key.