Re: jquery debate with upstream

Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com> writes:

> I think it's black and white if it's a bug.  If it's worth investing the
> effort in fixing the bug is all kinds of shades of gray.

I don't think that's a horribly useful distinction for this conversation,
which is about what will be accepted into the archive or not.  (In
essence, this whole conversation is about whether it's an RC bug, which by
definition is worth effort in fixing unless we remove the package
entirely.)

> If we're going to have the rule be that source in the preferred form of
> modification is only required when the license requires it, then we
> should change the rules of the project to match.  DFSG #2 is not at all
> vague about what it requires.

Then we cannot include the GPL in our distribution, since it is under a
clearly and unambiguously non-DFSG license, and therefore, by its license
terms, must remove all of the software in the archive that is covered by
it.

In other words, while the above sounds very clear and consistent, it's not
what we actually do.  It's not clear to me that amending the social
contract to carve out these various exception cases is worth the effort or
will result in a less ambiguous document than we have now.  The reality of
practice is always messy.

> Additionally, I disagree that the freeness of the packages we give our
> users so they can modify the software is substantially less important
> than the freeness of the packages we give them to run.  (recognizing
> that as a practically matter, compromises get made).

There's a saying about priorities: if everything is equally important,
that means nothing is important.