Re: Using the pts alias for the Maintainer field

Hi,

On Sun, 09 Mar 2014, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> I co-maintain a package where the maintainer has stepped down. We are various
> co-maintainers and rather than having one of us in the Maintainer field, we were
> thinking in having a list or similar. Since we are all subscribed to the PTS to
> receive bug mail, I was thinking in using <pkg>@packages.debian.org so that we
> don't need to create a mailing list and a project in alioth.
>
> Is there any reason not to use those aliases in the maintainer field? The only
> thing I can think of is because it would cause mail loops :-)

Yeah, I would like to do the same on multiple packages that I co-maintain
but I haven't done it yet because some things will break currently... mail
loops are not out of the questions (I haven't checked whether the
packages.debian.org setup is smart enough) but what is sure is that you would get
duplicate emails. The BTS sends mails to the address in the Maintainer
field and a copy to the PTS. The packages.debian.org host forwards mails
to the address in Maintainer and a copy to the PTS, so that means PTS
subscribers will get the bug mails twice at least.

My plan was to fix this with the new tracker.debian.org (PTS rewrite)
by following the plans outlined in DEP-2 (http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep2/).

Any help is welcome.

http://wiki.debian.org/qa.debian.org/distro-tracker

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Discover the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/