Re: debian/copyright: how extensive ...

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 10:29:31PM +0100, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> On 13507 March 1977, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > Is there any rules in place written somewhere?
>
> If one takes it all the way to the end, then each and every file ought
> to be documented. This, however, is not realistic, especially not for
> the class of files you listed. The more people do this, the better, but
> we would have to reject 90% of all uploads if we enforce listings like this.

Good ... this seems to indicate you welcome to have them. (I was
afraid that you hate to see them.)

> > Also, not all files in archive come copyright/license text within the file.
>
> Not all files CAN come with a license included in them. It is one of the
> reasons why one (upstream) should include a file with the (C)/license
> text prominently in the distribution. Than one can default to "files not
> marked especially with a license follow that one" and revisit that idea
> when there is reasonable doubt. (Say, multiple files with license text,
> having lots of source files appearently imported, ...)

Understood and that is why I glob COPYING files and include them in
debian/copyright. So this is good for me.

> > There is no DEP-5 rules on what to do.
>
> There is no way to have a clear rule.

Sure but I needed some idea how far my script does.  Including all these
files listed is easier than excluding autogenerated permissive license
files.

Let me play a bit on autogeneration of copyright file template.  I is
lokking better now here.

Thank you.

Osamu