Re: default init on non-Linux platforms

On 02/20/2014 15:28, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 02/20/2014 09:02 PM, Tom H wrote:
>> What features does sysvinit+openrc have that sysvinit+sysv-rc+insserv
>> doesn't have?
>
> Just to name a few:
> - getting rid of the ugly LSB headers
> - cgroup supports to kill processes

I'm curious: does OpenRC allow processes to leave the cgroup? For
example, when killing the ssh service, I do not want to kill active
connections. With systemd, pam_systemd takes care of this. How does it
work on OpenRC?

> - Dependency caching system (so you wont have to wait for its
> calculation at next boot)

I thought the current sysvinit implementation with insserv in Debian
already does this. But I might be wrong.

> Also, we have an ALIVE UPSTREAM TEAM, and an evolving project, which is
> IMO important (is there anyone still working on sysv-rc apart from a few
> Debian maintainers? my understanding is: we're alone now...).

Doesn't it still use the (unmaintained?) sysvinit? But then, that's only
a part that probably doesn't need much maintainance anyway.

Ansgar