Re: default init on non-Linux platforms

On 19 February 2014 15:57, The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On 02/19/2014 10:45 AM, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
>
>> On 19 February 2014 15:28, Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Dimitri,
>
>>> are you aware that media are already quoting your blogpost as
>>> official announcement of next Debian codename?
>>
>> Nah, wasn't aware =) I blame Neil, I thought he still was a release
>> manager ;-) Any reason, not to make it official? =)
>
> Well, back in 2002 there was a probably-joking sort-of decision that
> "zurg" should be the codename of the release where the Hurd and *BSD
> ports were fully ready [1]. Given that we seem to be moving more towards
> dropping ports than finalizing them at the moment, using the name zurg
> would not seem to be in keeping with that idea.
>
> I like the idea (and the method of choosing, and of announcing, it)
> otherwise, though.

To be honest Zurg is living up to it's expectations. kFreeBSD is
looking very solid on jessie already, and it can only get better by
Zurg time. Initial porting work is done, and now work is mostly put
into polishing and providing new features. It really is something i'm
comfortable running as my main server. And given Zurg's ambitious
plans drafted today the name is both suitable and telling as predicted
back then.

And if scope is limitted to virtual machines / cloud instances - Hurd
also looks very good.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.