Re: systemd's journal

previously on this list Helmut Grohne contributed:

> So for the time being (i.e. until all of my systems and recovery systems
> are converted to systemd), I do see a slight[2] disadvantage

> It may take even longer until all initramfs will use
> systemd (and I do want to read logs from the initramfs if all I can
> mount is the /var/log).

It's just occurred to me that the binary format may not work with append
only logging?

Also recovering those logs from a possibly intentionally
uncompletely wiped disk would be much harder especially on an ext3/ext4
filesystem where carving is required when otherwise you could image or
ddrescue in case of hardware failure and use grep.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)