Re: default init on non-Linux platforms

On 18/02/14 14:15, Ondřej Surý wrote:
> If we have working OpenRC on kFreeBSD and GNU Hurd, can I do:
>
> Depends: systemd | openrc
>
> if I want to get rid of non-declarative init scripts in my daemon
> packages?

I don't think that's going to be a good migration path from wheezy to
jessie. For instance, suppose your daemon is ondrejd. After upgrading
ondrejd/wheezy to ondrejd/jessie, but before rebooting into jessie, it's
still necessary for sysvinit and sysv-rc to be able to stop ondrejd; and
the postinst must succeed, which with debhelper's current dh_installinit
snippets means it's still necessary for sysvinit and sysv-rc to be able
to *start* ondrejd, too (although degraded operation would be OK).

(Depends: systemd doesn't give you systemd-as-pid-1 as a replacement for
sysvinit, anyway; that's systemd-sysv.)