Re: systemd's journal

On 02/18/2014 10:03 AM, Helmut Grohne wrote:
> Thanks. Unlike tools like xz, just installing systemd does have
> side-effects on the system. These are usually considered bugs and
> quickly ironed out, but I believe some are still present in the wheezy
> package and I am thus reluctant to install wheezy's systemd on a
> production system. This problem will solve itself over time.

Yeah, no one said that. systemd for Wheezy is out of the question,
I don't understand why you even need to bring that up. Even
upstream clearly says you shouldn't be using such an old
version.

> The other argument I saw in the discussion was "journalctl is just a
> tool like xz, go and install it". It's not. There is xz-utils on
> kfreebsd-amd64, but there is no systemd there (sorry for reiterating
> this one).

So? In what situation is it impossible for you to get your hands on
a Linux live medium? Are you trying to construct a situation where
you are stranded on a lonely island with your Linux installation
broken and all you have is a live medium with Debian/kFreeBSD?

The package zfsutils isn't available on Linux either [1], so
I guess you won't be able to repair your corrupted ZFS filesystem
with a Linux live medium in such a situation.

I don't understand such arguments, those are strawman arguments
in my opinion.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz