Re: Binary naming conflict

Bill Blough <devel@blough.us> writes:

> I've started packaging PasswordSafe (a GUI password manager) which ships
> a binary named pwsafe.

> Oldstable contains the pwsafe package (a command line password manager
> based on an earlier version of PasswordSafe) which also ships a binary
> named pwsafe.

Given that the package is only in oldstable, and given that the new
package does the same thing (albeit with a different interface), I think
that's fine.  Even if it didn't do the same thing, I think that's probably
fine given that it was removed from the archive.

The effect on the user isn't really different than if, between oldstable
and jessie, some program was completely rewritten to have a different user
interface.  That's something that's happened plenty of times before.