Re: Apt-get question

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 07:34:27PM +0000, Roelof Wobben wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wonder if there is a manual how to install/port apt-get to another distro.
> I work now on a slackware based distro and maybe I can make a debian based
> distro of it.
>
> Roelof

There is a problem: apt-get is closely tied to the Debian practice of dependency
management. Slackware will allow you to install almost any .tar.gz - creating
a full dependency managed solution for Slackware would be significantly harder
tthan simply copying over apt code.

The price of end user convenience is constraint on what is feasible/what is allowed
in packagoing, documentation, file system layout ...

Andrew Cater