Re: removal of the vacation package

md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) writes:
> On Jan 12, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> It still seems to have a fair number of loyal users though. I see your
> popcon says 1867 have it installed, but only 222 "voted".
>
>> If we do have such a
>> replacement (I just don't know) please mention it in the removal bug
>> report.
> I agree with waldi that the most simple replacement is a Sieve-enabled
> LDA.

Is there such a beast with feature parity?  vacation has a few nice
defaults, like ignoring list mails and only sending one message per week
to each receiver.  Having every end user implement similar behaviour in
sieve isn't likely to happen.

The world has become a lot more stupid since vacation was written....

> On Jan 12, Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> I might want to adopt it.  What's wrong with it not supporting
>> MIME ?  AFAIAA it doesn't need to do much parsing of the incoming
>> messages.
> As the last bug shows, it is supposed to parse the Subject header.

This doesn't look like a MIME bug to me.  It looks like vacation
truncates multiline subjects.  There is absolutely no reason it should
try to parse any MIME.

And the truncation doesn't really matter for most use cases (returning a
static message). IMHO this could just be documented and tagged as
wontfix if you wanted to.

>> The set of bugs looks tractable to me.  Do you have a half-prepared
>> upload somewhere or is the versionn in the archive the most recent ?
> No, I have really ignored it since december 2003.
> If you want it, it's yours.

Good to see that there are developers interested in keeping it alive.

Bjørn