Re: CUPS is now linked against OpenSSL (was: Re: GnuTLS in Debian)

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 05:24:16PM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Sat, 2014-01-11 at 17:55 +0100, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > this "GnuTLS in Debian" thread triggered my switch of the src:cups
> > package from linking against GnuTLS to now link against OpenSSL. CUPS is
> > GPL-2 only with an OpenSSL exception.
> >
> > Today, Andreas rightly pointed to me that this induces a problem (for
> > Debian) for all GPL-without-OpenSSL-exception programs linked against
> > libcups2. As far as I understand our current stance on that problem,
> > GPL-licensed programs without an OpenSSL exception are absolutely
> > forbidden to link with it, even indirectly.
> [...]

> I think this is an absurd interpretation.  It is certainly not being
> applied to linux-tools, where we have perf linked against libpython
> linked against OpenSSL.

$ ldd /usr/bin/perf_3.12 |grep ssl
$

This is not an analogous situation.  libpython does *not* link against
OpenSSL; it merely supports dynamically loading libssl on behalf of python
programs that request it.  So perf is not loading OpenSSL into memory, and
there is no GPL problem here.  I would suggest dropping the disclaimer from
the copyright file, as it's not really applicable.

Had the situation actually been analogous, with perf calling into openssl
code via libpython, I would have filed a serious bug against linux-tools in
response to your message.  This is not a matter that maintainers are
entitled to exercise their own opinions on; if Debian were to decide to no
longer hold itself to the letter of the GPL, that's a decision for the
project to make as a whole.