Re: CUPS is now linked against OpenSSL (was: Re: GnuTLS in Debian)

On Sat, 2014-01-11 at 17:55 +0100, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> this "GnuTLS in Debian" thread triggered my switch of the src:cups
> package from linking against GnuTLS to now link against OpenSSL. CUPS is
> GPL-2 only with an OpenSSL exception.
>
> Today, Andreas rightly pointed to me that this induces a problem (for
> Debian) for all GPL-without-OpenSSL-exception programs linked against
> libcups2. As far as I understand our current stance on that problem,
> GPL-licensed programs without an OpenSSL exception are absolutely
> forbidden to link with it, even indirectly.
[...]

I think this is an absurd interpretation.  It is certainly not being
applied to linux-tools, where we have perf linked against libpython
linked against OpenSSL.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Always try to do things in chronological order;