Re: A distro based on Debian

Hi Timur,

Quoting Konstantin Khomoutov (2014-01-07 18:36:02)
> On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 22:06:14 +0600 Timur <demintimur@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am writing to this mail to ask a question about creating a distro
>> using Debian as a base.

That sounds quite interesting!

>> So on may I use Debian logo for my distro?

There are two kinds of official logos - the ones without the bottle you
are free to use as long as you follow its license.  More info here:
https://www.debian.org/logos/

> ... and if you for some reason won't find DebianEdu useful please
> please please just create a "pure blend" [1] of Debian, not another
> "distro".
>
> And before that, please consider merely "preseeding" installations
> of unmodified Debian [2].

Uhm, above is almost correct: A "Debian Pure Blend" can be done using
only preseeding.  A "Debian Blend" (i.e. non-pure) can be involve things
intended for Debian but not yet included.  Read [1] for the details.

> Really, there's no point in creating a custom distro when you just
> want to preset certain settings and install a bunch of software when
> rolling an OS onto a computer.  If you want to make available a number
> of software packages not present in Debian proper (and may be install
> them by default) then just set up a custom debian repository (see [3]
> for one example) and preseed your Debian installation to add this
> repository to the installation media sources.

> 1. https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPureBlends
> 2. https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Preseed
> 3. https://wiki.debian.org/SettingUpSignedAptRepositoryWithReprepro

Those are good advices, but telling someone what is or is not pointless
or simple can be quite discouraging.

@Timur: Like Knostantin and Andreas I am quite happy that you describe
your interest as being non-profit, school-oriented and based closely on
Debian, and hope that you find the "Debian Blend" approach (pure or not)
useful.  But no matter what you choose to do, I wish you the best of
joy, and expect that you will find help on this list if you run into
problems or confusion - we are many that have tinkered with the kind of
things you are now diving into :-)

Regards,

 - Jonas