Re: A distro based on Debian

On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 22:06:14 +0600
Timur <demintimur@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Sir or Madam,
> I am writing to this mail to ask a question about creating a distro
> using Debian as a base.
> It won't be commercial - it'll be used in only one school.
> There won't be used any proprietary software.
> It's going to be used for education only.
> So on may I use Debian logo for my distro?
> Distro will be renamed with "Deb"-suffix.
> I hope you'll answer me.

... and if you for some reason won't find DebianEdu useful please
please please just create a "pure blend" [1] of Debian, not another
"distro".

And before that, please consider merely "preseeding" installations
of unmodified Debian [2].  Really, there's no point in creating a custom
distro when you just want to preset certain settings and install a
bunch of software when rolling an OS onto a computer.  If you want to
make available a number of software packages not present in Debian
proper (and may be install them by default) then just set up a custom
debian repository (see [3] for one example) and preseed your Debian
installation to add this repository to the installation media sources.

1. https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPureBlends
2. https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Preseed
3. https://wiki.debian.org/SettingUpSignedAptRepositoryWithReprepro