Re: GPLv2-only considered harmful [was Re: GnuTLS in Debian]

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 08:59:53AM -0600, Matt Zagrabelny wrote:
> > So your doomsday scenario is that if you license something
> > GPLv2+, someone might fork and modify it to be GPLv3+,
>
> I was under the impression that forks couldn't change licenses. Is the
> scenario which Clint describes (legally) possible?

I drew up this table a few weeks back when someone was misunderstanding
the GPL combination stuff.
/
|                      HELPFUL GPL UPGRADE TABLE
|

|           +-------+--------+-------+--------+
|           | GPL-2 | GPL-2+ | GPL-3 | GPL-3+ | <=========
|   +-------+-------+--------+-------+--------+           \\
|   | GPL-2 | GPL-2 | GPL-2  | NO!!! |  NO!!! |           ||
|   +-------+-------+--------+-------+--------+           ||
|   | GPL-2+| GPL-2 | GPL-2+ | GPL-3 | GPL-3+ |           ||
|   +-------+-------+--------+-------+--------+           ||
|   | GPL-3 | NO!!! | GPL-3  | GPL-3 | GPL-3  |           ||
|   +-------+-------+--------+-------+--------+           ||
|   | GPL-3+| NO!!! | GPL-3+ | GPL-3 | GPL-3+ |           ||
|   +-------+-------+--------+-------+--------+           ||
|      ^^                                                 ||
|      ||                                                 ||
|Take the license of your work                            ||
|                                                         ||
|                 and match it with the license of the work you want
|                 to include into your work (linking, static linking,
|                 copying into, any sort of memory sharing)
|

|        Find the grid that matches the two entries.
|        This value is the license that you may distribute
|        the derived work under.
|
|        If the value is "NO!!!", then you're violating the
|        terms of the GPL and *MAY NOT* distribute this work.
\

Didn't think I'd have to post it to a Debian mailing list, but alas.

The resulting license is the work, when it's all jumbled up and combined,
*not* the original code that was GPL-2+. That will stay 2+ regardless of
what it's being used in, and can be taken out to restore it's 2+-eyness.

Cheers,
  Paul

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org>  |   Proud Debian Developer
: :'  : 4096R / 8F04 9AD8 2C92 066C 7352  D28A 7B58 5B30 807C 2A87