Re: systemd effectively mandatory now due to GNOME

Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.net> writes:

> I've spent several hours to find what was wrong with lightdm, and
> eventually found the culprit earlier today: just the fact that the
> systemd package was installed! So, yes, systemd currently breaks things,
> even if it is not used (I don't use GNOME itself, sometimes some GNOME
> apps that work without the GNOME environment, so that in any case
> systemd is completely useless for me).

I suspect that this is a bug of some kind in lightdm in its detection of
whether to use systemd-only features.

That said, the display managers in Debian other than kdm and gdm are not
ready for systemd at the moment.  I had to switch to gdm3 to use systemd
(by which I mean booting with it) because neither slim nor lightdm worked
properly.  But I believe slim already has a new upstream release that does
work properly, and I'm quite sure these bugs will be fixed relatively
quickly given how widespread systemd is going to become (regardless of
what Debian does).