Re: systemd effectively mandatory now due to GNOME

I'm replying to an old message, but...

On 2013-10-23 23:06:39 +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 10/23/2013 10:30 PM, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> > Of course I can install the package but don't have to switch init= to
> > it, nevertheless it seems that already this alone adds several things
> > (udev rules, dbus stuff and some things in the maintainer scripts) that
> > *will* get enabled.
>
> And does this cause any problems actually? Does your system no longer
> boot properly using sysvinit when systemd is installed?

I've spent several hours to find what was wrong with lightdm, and
eventually found the culprit earlier today: just the fact that the
systemd package was installed! So, yes, systemd currently breaks
things, even if it is not used (I don't use GNOME itself, sometimes
some GNOME apps that work without the GNOME environment, so that
in any case systemd is completely useless for me).