Re: Need some guide with LSB core

On Sunday, December 15, 2013 08:33:34 AM Bas Wijnen wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 08:27:45PM +0530, V.Krishn wrote:
> > On Friday, December 13, 2013 08:31:51 PM you wrote:
> > > Was going through LSB Core 4.1.
> > >
> > > I am looking at LSB core section 20.8 ...
> > > <quote>
> > > Confirming.... set -e
> > > </quote>

Apologies.

> This is a useless quote.  You mean:
> > Conforming scripts shall not specify the "exit on error" option (i.e.
> > set -e) when sourcing this file, or calling any of the commands thus
> > made available.
>
> From the bugs you cite, the consensus in Debian seems to be that this is
> an unreasonable requirement which leads to buggy code.  However, since
> it is a requirement, we follow it and try to be very careful to avoid
> bugs.
>
> > > does this mean /etc/init.d/apache2 will not have "set -e" set in it
>
> According to LSB that is what it means.  According to our own policy,
> set -e is acceptable, as long as any function returning an error is
> handled properly.  Note that this script does not use set -e in
> unstable; I don't know if this was a recent change.
>
> > Ok, found some references for ongoing efforts:

Re quote:
"Ok, found some references for the same issues:"

> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2012/04/msg00248.html
> >
> > and at bugs.debian.org:
> >   #546743
> >   #562506
> >   #661002
> >   #616131
>
> These are all closed bugs, not "ongoing efforts".  I'm not sure what
> your question is.  In any case, nobody would complain if lsb-core would
> be fixed to allow set -e.  However, nobody seems to be interested in
> doing the work either.
>
> > It would be nice if in Release Notes(if not too lengthy) or a wiki page
> > lists short notes pointing to LSB spec, for items having partial or non
> > implementation.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here.  For the next release this is no
> problem.

Having a wiki page that lists out points from LSB specs that have not been
followed or supported.

> If you find an init script which uses set -e without handling
> errors properly, it's a bug which should be reported.  Apache2 is not an
> example of this; it doesn't use set -e.

hmm, just checked jessie package and its not there. :-)
Have not checked other init scripts but seems its being accepted and
implemented.
Thanks.

--
Regards.