Re: Need some guide with LSB core

Bas Wijnen <wijnen@debian.org> writes:
> On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 08:27:45PM +0530, V.Krishn wrote:

>> Conforming scripts shall not specify the "exit on error" option (i.e.
>> set -e) when sourcing this file, or calling any of the commands thus
>> made available.

> From the bugs you cite, the consensus in Debian seems to be that this is
> an unreasonable requirement which leads to buggy code.

I've found multiple bugs in Debian init scripts due to misuse of set -e,
and in general believe it's a bad idea for init scripts.  I wouldn't
personally ban it entirely (so I think LSB takes the wrong approach here
and would be better off specifing the behavior they want), since people
who are very careful can write init scripts that use it properly, but in
general I wouldn't recommend it.

There are many "expected" failures in a Debian-Policy-compliant init
script, and if you use set -e, you have to handle them all, very
carefully.