Re: Bits from ARM porters

Hello,

2013/12/3 Dmitrijs Ledkovs <xnox@debian.org>:
> On 2 December 2013 23:08, Hector Oron <hector.oron@gmail.com> wrote:

>> 5 arm64 Debian port support
>> ═══════════════════════════
>>
>>   If Debian is unable to find ARM 64-bit hardware before Jessie gets
>>   frozen, it likely won't be Jessie supported.
>>

> What is the opportunity cost here? Are there no machine available
> within budget? If that's the case, what's the current budget that
> Debian Project can contribute, and what's the shortage to buy ARM
> 64-bit hardware *today*?
> Is the shortage realistically be possible to fill with a targeted fundraiser?
>
> During Jessie lifecycle, there will be demand for stable ARM64 port.

Seriously, I have no idea. There are no arm64 machines available for
sale, besides those phones from the apples, which are unsuitable for
our purposes. Debian Project is community funded, in general, people
find expending 5-7k$ out of Debian money for full ARM (32-bit) server
*not* an option. While Canonical was able to make a deal with AMCC/APM
for X-Gene machine (to build Ubuntu's arm64 port), apparently that
machine is not going to see the light until half next year, right
before Debian freeze.

It was suggested to do arm64 cross built or emulated built in
debian-ports, so it'd be easier to bootstrap if it becomes official,
however it is quite tight in schedule for Jessie release as you can
see.

Regards,
--