jenkins vs. debile [was: Re: Bits from the Release]

Hi Zack, hi all,

> On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 05:09:22PM +0200, Niels Thykier wrote:
> > How you can help (NEW-TEST-HELP)
> > ================================
> >
> > Add tests to your packages.  The full specification for these tests
> > are available from [AUTOPKG].  If you need inspiration, consider looking
> > at some of the existing autopkgtests[FIND-AUTOPKG].
> >
> > We need to have the autopkgtest tests run.  Holger Levsen suggested
> > that jenkins.debian.net has the necessary hardware to support these
> > tests.
> >
> > Asheesh Laroia has kindly spent some time during DebConf13 researching
> > and experimenting with setting up such jobs.
>
> So, in the context of work to periodically run various sorts of static
> analysis tests on Debian packages [1], we (myself, Sylvestre Ledru, Léo
> Cavaillé, and Matthieu Caneill) have considered using Jenkins.  Based on
> feedback from Matthias Klumpp and his experience in using Jenkins for
> Tanglu, we have concluded that it didn't really scale to the point that
> we needed (number of Debian packages * number of checkers). We ended up
> using Paul Tagliamonte's debile infrastructure [2].

Would you/Matthias be willing to share the feedback on jenkins more widely? I do
presently run a system with ~60,000 jobs, and, yes, this is probably somewhat
beyond what jenkins was meant to scale to. Yet jenkins does have the practical
advantage of being widely used, with lots of plug-ins, and being well
documented. Not all of this seems to be the case for debile at present...

> I don't doubt that jenkins.d.n can be leveraged for the time being,
> giving the low amount of autopkgtests currently available. But you might
> want to check with Matthias or similar experiences before committing to
> using Jenkins for this.

[...]

I'd be happy to contribute mine as well, and one of the key points seems to be
the level of interaction/user control people are looking for.

Best,
Michael