Re: Bits from the Release

On 2013-09-03 13:49, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 05:09:22PM +0200, Niels Thykier wrote:
>> How you can help (NEW-TEST-HELP)
>> ================================
>>
>> Add tests to your packages.  The full specification for these
>> tests are available from [AUTOPKG].  If you need inspiration,
>> consider looking at some of the existing
>> autopkgtests[FIND-AUTOPKG].
>>
>> We need to have the autopkgtest tests run.  Holger Levsen
>> suggested that jenkins.debian.net has the necessary hardware to
>> support these tests.
>>
>> Asheesh Laroia has kindly spent some time during DebConf13
>> researching and experimenting with setting up such jobs.

Hi,

I realise we had a chat about this on IRC, but I never got around to
follw up to your mail, so here goes:

> So, in the context of work to periodically run various sorts of
> static analysis tests on Debian packages [1], we (myself, Sylvestre
> Ledru, Léo Cavaillé, and Matthieu Caneill) have considered using
> Jenkins.  Based on feedback from Matthias Klumpp and his experience
> in using Jenkins for Tanglu, we have concluded that it didn't
> really scale to the point that we needed (number of Debian packages
> * number of checkers). We ended up using Paul Tagliamonte's debile
> infrastructure [2].
>
> I don't doubt that jenkins.d.n can be leveraged for the time
> being, giving the low amount of autopkgtests currently available.
> But you might want to check with Matthias or similar experiences
> before committing to using Jenkins for this.

Assuming there is sufficient hardware behind debile (I was told this
wasn't a problem for jenkins.d.n), then I would (personally) welcome a
debile-based setup instead of a jenkins-based one for this.  Honestly,
I do not think the Release Team cares much about the underlying
platform, as long as the platform and the autopkgtest-runner have
active maintainers.
  To my knowledge, there has not been anyone volunteers in this area
yet since Asheesh spent his time at DebConf13 on a prototype[1].
Volunteering for this task is left as an exercise for the reader.

> Apart from this, hopefully useful feedback: kudos for these saucy
> bits from the Release Team :-) Keep up the good work!
>

> Cheers.
>
> [...]

You are welcome.  Hopefully we will have some new "saucy bits" fairly
soon.

~Niels

[1] At least not anyone on debian-release@l.d.o