Re: packaging Postgres binary dump files

> On 20 Sep 2013, at 14:49, Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org> wrote:
>
> I mean, not really, right?
I wouldn't write it if I didn't think so.

> If I want to use a .so, I want the ELF, but I want to modify it in C
The classic case we all know well which doesn't map to this situation.
> This just means we ship the prefered form for use (this binary kruft)
> but ship the preferred form for modification in the source
When the preferred form for modification can be trivially generated from that of use, as in this case; paired with the difficulty of going the other way, what is gained? Larger source packages, and either the risk of the two versions going out of sync, or a build dependency on an available Postgres server.