Re: packaging Postgres binary dump files

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 09:07:48AM +0200, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>
> > PostBooks distributes their schema as a Postgres binary dump file for
> > use with pg_restore
>
> What is their reason for using the binary format? Could they be
> convinced to switch to or add something more normal like compressed
> SQL?

Just speaking for myself here, but I find that the binary format is more
flexible in that pg_restore can selectively restore things, generate DROP ____
statements, restoring things in parallel and such. All in all, the binary format
seems much more useful than the SQL format.

You can also compress the binary format (pg_dump -Z0..9), but it still isn't as
efficient as SQL compressed with xz -9.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin