Re: packaging Postgres binary dump files

On 20/09/13 15:49, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 02:47:39PM +0100, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 12:20:38PM +0200, Paul Wise wrote:
>>> It is also impossible to patch the binary format unlike SQL.
>> Interesting. For the first time, I've realised there can be a clash between
>> "preferred form for modification" and "preferred form for use".
>
> I mean, not really, right?
>
> If I want to use a .so, I want the ELF, but I want to modify it in C
>

> This just means we ship the prefered form for use (this binary kruft)
> but ship the preferred form for modification in the source.

The rules file could apply changes if required, pg_restore | something |
pg_dump again.

The current version of the postbooks-schema-* packages are now in
collab-maint git. They simply install these files to
/usr/share/postbooks-schema but make no attempt to load them into PostgreSQL

In this case, it is a client-server solution.  There is no guarantee the
client code (package: postbooks) runs on the same host as the database
(packages postgresql and postbooks-schema-quickstart).  Maybe the user
even has some Windows clients too.  So we have no easy way to
synchronize changes to the client package and the database.

If somebody wants to create any indexes in the database, details can go
in README.Debian.  The administrator can then choose how to use it.

However, if the package is formally rejected by the FTP masters then I
will be happy to change it to ASCII SQL if required.