Re: packaging Postgres binary dump files

On 20/09/13 09:07, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>
>> PostBooks distributes their schema as a Postgres binary dump file for
>> use with pg_restore
> What is their reason for using the binary format? Could they be
> convinced to switch to or add something more normal like compressed
> SQL?

Maybe they are just trying to make it easy for people to download and
start using it quickly.

My own database was created using their "quickstart" database, I've also
tried their "demo" database, both are very easy to use for anybody with
basic PostgreSQL knowledge.

They also provide an installer as another way to get started.  Neither
Andrew nor I have tried that yet and it is not in the main upstream
tarball, it is released from another repository.  We may want to provide
just the SQL and a postinst script wrapped in a Debian package rather
than packaging their whole installer.