Re: Status of dgit (good for NMUs and fast-forwarding Debian branches)

Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
> Russ Allbery writes:

>> This is common.  Usually it's because upstream ships generated files in
>> the upstream tarball as well as source files.  As part of building the
>> Debian package from source, one wants to remove all generated files and
>> recreate them.  Deleting those files in debian/rules clean is an
>> obvious way to go about this.

> I see.  So are those files in the source package or not ?

They are.

> If they are then, a dgit user who uses git reset, git clean, dgit -wg
> and sbuild won't see any problem from this, because they don't run
> debian/rules clean in the build tree as part of preparing the source
> package.

Ah, good, then it sounds like it handles that all correctly.

>> Saving all the build products and restoring them on debian/rules clean
>> is more trouble than I have any interest in doing, although patches are
>> welcome, I suppose.

> I think the right answer to these kind of problems is a vpath build,
> or the moral equivalent.

The problem, of course, being that these files are usually the support
files that have to be in place before the build system understands VPATH.
Although it would be interesting, as a development project, to teach
Autoconf and friends how to use input files from a different directory and
bootstrap a build directory from scratch.