Re: Call for Jessie Release Goals

On 18 September 2013 03:42, Mathieu Malaterre <malat@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 9:17 PM, Jonathan Wiltshire <jmw@debian.org> wrote:
>> Release goals are areas of functionality which developers would like to see
>> as an aim for the next release. They will not hold up the release, but
>> allow the bugs opened for that goal to be of severity 'important'.
>
> I am not sure if this qualify as "Release goals". So I'd like to ask
> first what people think of using C++11 in the next release.
>
> I know of a couple of C++ libraries which could be compiled with the
> new gcc compilation option. And I have at least one application (no
> shared lib) which requires C++11 to compile properly. Since C++11
> introduce an ABI incompatibility [*], this may not be a Release Goal
> but simply a tech-ctte decision.
>
> Comments ?

I think I have replied about similar requests before (not sure if it
was on these mailing lists).
In essence, at the moment we do not have any compiler & stdlib with
complete and stable ABI for C++11.
It is expected that gcc4.8 will break C++11 ABI to further implement
the standard.
Other non-default compilers also are fully featured at the moment
(w.r.t. C++11 compiler features).
Thus at the moment we cannot consider switching. One can compile with
C++11 enable where one must, but also one then gets to keep the ABI
incompatibilities down the road (boost / template libraries
especially).

While one would want to start using C++11, it's not default at the
moment and not feasible to make the default standard level C++11.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.