Re: overriding udev rules

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 11:26 PM, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 08:50:48PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> [...]
>> As a side note, also note that the MAC address range definitions are all
>> blurred these days, MAC addresses are reused by manufacturers and most
>> parsable meaning of MAC addresses has been removed (simply because the
>> namespace is mostly depleted these days...)
>
> There is no shortage of namespace; only a tiny fraction of the 2^22
> valid OUIs have been allocated.  But perhaps some OUIs are abused for
> volatile and non-unique assignments and you're right that this breaks
> the old naming policy.
>
> The new udev policy isn't any better for Thomas's use case, though.
> He seems to want to take his chances with kernel probing order...

It's hopefully still better for most virtual machine use cases, as it
will not write out config to disk at every boot and not use MAC
addresses, which can change from boot-to-boot on some boxes.

With the old model we've seen virtual machines with 1000s of entries
in the rules files created by just rebooting them. :)

Kay