Re: How git performs when you throw all of Debian at it

On Sun, Sep 01, 2013 at 09:07:47PM +0100, Stephen Gran wrote:
> luca is not asking, "why aren't you using the new shiny", he's asking,
> "why hasn't a proposal for a project that does string searching used one
> of the already available, off the shelf string searching programs".
>
> Asking someone why they didn't choose off the shelf tools to do a job
> that is largely a solved problem is a reasonable thing to do, especially
> when being asked to support new, custom code that is certain to come
> with its own quirks, bugs, and security issues.
>
> I think the answer here is, "more code could be reused by borrowing work
> from google" - the NIH syndrome appears to be google's, rather than
> Michael's, if I understand correctly.  That's probably a fine answer,
> but the question also needed to be asked.

Fair point. My personal guess is that Solr's support for regex search
was not up to par at that point. codesearch is not about simple string
searching, but about regex as well, which was long something that wasn't
very performant because it couldn't be indexed efficiently.

The few bits I read up about Solr + regex seem to imply that your
indices somewhat explode in size (because it has to look at more context
than for simple strings), but that may or may not be true anymore.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern