Re: Survey answers part 1: systemd has too many dependencies, …

Hi Michael,

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 7:17 PM, Michael Stapelberg <stapelberg@debian.org> wrote:
Hi Ondřej,

Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org> writes:
> and if I match this with the table at:
> http://people.debian.org/~stapelberg/docs/systemd-dependencies.html I get
> the result that you will _not_ compile systemd with:
>
> libselinux.so
> libpam.so
> libwrap.so
> libaudit.so
> libkmod.so
>
> because they are marked as optional in the table.
I’m sorry that this is unclear. I updated the document, saying:

Whether compiling systemd without this dependency is supported by
upstream. This does not automatically mean that Debian choses to make
these parts optional.

Thanks, that makes the document and the goal of Debian maintainers much clearer.

But, to be very clear, I certainly don’t see the need to strip down
systemd in Debian for the general use case (including embedded devices
and servers). That is energy which could be much better spent elsewhere.

I concur.

I still think you should also update the table with information if the library is actually used in PID 1 (or in forked process) as hmh suggested:

It would be best to enhance
http://people.debian.org/~stapelberg/docs/systemd-dependencies.html with
> information about what runs on PID 1, and what runs after fork() and how
> critical it is.

O.
--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej@sury.org>