Re: default MTA

On 06/06/13 14:00, Chris Knadle wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 05, 2013 15:35:14, Marc Haber wrote:
>> On Sun, 2 Jun 2013 19:53:59 -0400, Chris Knadle
>> <Chris.Knadle@coredump.us> wrote:
>> >Attempting to use an FQDN is also troublesome, because Exim tries to use
>> >DNS to look up the FQDN, and falls back to using 'uname -n' which returns
>> >the local hostname without a domain name.  The SMTP RFCs require the
>> >HELO/HELO information to contain an FQDN or an IP address in [] brackets,
>> >and some mail systems reject connections containing non-conforming
>> >HELO/EHLO greetings.
>>
>> Smarthosts are usually a lot more forgiving in that regard.
>
> Maybe so, but the smarthosts I run aren't, so I don't have the expectation
> that others are.  ACL rules for both Exim and Postfix for blocking
> noncompliant EHLO/HELO greetings are commonly suggested.

The smarthosts run by ISPs that most people will be using by default have to
accept mail direct from MUAs such as Outlook and Thunderbird which will
often be unable to generate compliant greetings. The pickier settings are
more often used on incoming servers which expect to have proper SMTP servers
speaking to them.

>> >Tested this... looks like this is true.  :-)  Cool.  [I'm pretty sure this
>> >wasn't always the case, but I'm glad it is now.]
>>
>> Afair, it was always the case.
>
> Okay -- I'll take your word for it.  ;-)

The upstream spec for Exim 3.30 from 2001 says: "It is not necessary to set
any options to have TLS work in the smtp transport. If TLS is advertised by
a server, the smtp transport will attempt to start a TLS session."

Roger