ESA's SOCIS Programme (GSoC analog) and Debian?

Hello,

The European Space Agency comes up with another run of its Summer of Code
  http://sophia.estec.esa.int/socis2013/?q=timeline
and at least little me would like to see Debian to participate. "We" are
already on the Space Station, after all. And we had at least one DD on
it, too.

I am not sure about what exact project there could be for us. But if
we accept for a moment Debian can contribute to the dissemination of all
the software produced anywhere within the ESA SoC, then we should fine
our niche, I am somewhat confident. We help bringing people together,
vertically (professionals with students/hobbyists) and horizontally
(students and professionals of different projects among themselves). And
this is all much like what this SoC is after in the first place.

With not too many negative vibrations following this email, I would
then ask our DPL to assembl a team of volunteers to craft the application
as a mentoring organisation....not truly knowing if this is the way to go
for it, well, you'll tell me.

Cheers,

Steffen