Re: [clang] Report bugs on packages failing to build with clang

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 10:08:59PM +0200, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> I think this will likely improve code quality, hence I'm much in
> favour of this, in particular when it comes to outright bugs. But a
> non-negligible fraction of the build failures, I believe, are due to
> the use of nested functions. This could well be considered design
> decisions when used intentionally (unlike, e.g., [684508], where I
> have already filed a bug). I'm not sure whether upstream will be very
> keen on such bug reports?

clang.debian.net lists 39 instances of these, though I think the buildd
is a bit behind so there are probably a few more.  I think it's still
worth reporting.

The case I'm personally aware of whose upstream maintainers were
historically most attached to its uses of nested functions and where the
changes to avoid them were most complicated was GRUB.  In that case,
Vladimir and I recently removed all the uses of nested functions
upstream, and the 2.01 release will not use them.  If it helps you to
make arguments to other upstream maintainers, here's the rationale I
posted for pushing this work:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2013-01/msg00000.html