Re: Debian systemd survey

On 2013-06-02 11:10:34 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> writes:
> > Am 02.06.2013 18:59, schrieb Russ Allbery:
>
> >> There's really no reason to have something like an /etc/default setting
> >> for that, the way there is for the rsyncd init script.  You can just
> >> edit that directly (well, it's systemd, so you have to copy it into
> >> /etc and make a new version and then won't know if anything about the
> >> default changes -- a truly awful design, but that's another argument).
>
> > You do not necessarily have to copy the whole file. You can
> > override/amend the .service file by using a foo.service.d/*.conf
> > snippet.
>
> That doesn't really help -- it's exactly changes to ExecStart that I want
> to be informed of by dpkg.

Agreed. To give an example, /lib/systemd/system/wpa_supplicant.service
currently contains:

ExecStart=/sbin/wpa_supplicant -u -s -O /var/run/wpa_supplicant

What if the user wants his own ExecStart line, do does something
like the above?

echo "ExecStart=/sbin/wpa_supplicant -u -s -O /var/run/wpa_supplicant -foo" >
  /etc/systemd/system/wpa_supplicant.service

But if the /var/run symlink disappears some time in the future,
or if wpa_supplicant is moved to /usr/sbin (something that may
happen), the /lib/systemd/system/wpa_supplicant.service file
would have been updated, but the user wouldn't necessarily be
aware of such a change.

I hope the user isn't required to write config files that can
dynamically update themselves from new /lib/... files. :)