Re: Debian systemd survey

Russ Allbery wrote:
> There's really no reason to have something like an /etc/default setting
> for that, the way there is for the rsyncd init script.  You can just edit
> that directly (well, it's systemd, so you have to copy it into /etc and
> make a new version and then won't know if anything about the default
> changes -- a truly awful design, but that's another argument).

You don't necessarily need to copy the file into /etc to change
something. Depending on the change, it may be more appropriate to create
a new file using ".include" for the old file and then overriding only
one particular setting. Telling people to blindly copy everything is bad
advice IMO - if you have even the settings you _don't_ want to override
in the /etc file, then merging is necessary on upgrades if you still
want to follow changes to those default settings.

Whether there are notifications from the packaging system when package
upgrades change the default file has nothing to do with systemd design.
That's up to the Debian packaging. Tollef Fog Heen just said in a post
yesterday "it's quite likely we'll go with an approach that uses ucf and
does notify on update-with-changes". Of course rsync has another
maintainer who might or might not choose the same behavior, and
obviously he hasn't enabled any notifications at the moment. But if you
disagree with that, blaming the design of upstream systemd is not the
right target.