Re: Switching to mozilla ESR in stable-security

* Thomas Goirand:

> Maybe the best way forward is to have backports activated by default
> (there's already a patch available for that, not sure if it has been
> applied to d-i yet). Then when installing a desktop (since backports
> are now fully part of Debian), we could provide browsers from there
> (maybe as a Recommends:, so it isn't forced into our users ?).

I'm not sure if moving packages between repositories makes that much
of a difference.  Either they work acceptably well, or they don't,
independently of the delivery mechanism.

>From what I see, the main pain comes from packages which are complex,
without long-term support from upstream for the version we use, and
which are used as a reverse dependency by other packages.  Of those,
only the latter part seems to be something over which we have some
degree of control, that is, we could make sure that these packages are
more or less leaf packages.