Re: Custom Reload command/signal in upstart

W dniu sob, cze 1, 2013 o 12:52 ,nadawca John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> napisał:
On 06/01/2013 12:24 PM, Vincent Bernat wrote:
I don't know how systemd behaves in this way (so this is not something to hold against upstart), but there are so many daemons that need to be started after the network has been configured that it should be easy to do this. For example, most daemons binding to a specific address needs to be started after the address has been configured.
Which is exactly the very one design decision which is wrong in upstart. Starting any service as soon as all its dependencies are fulfilled, is putting the dependency chain upside down and doesn't make any sense. There is no point to start a daemon unless you actually need it.

I believe there was a counter example of using CUPS where unless you really start it, other machines won't discover it via avahi and you won't be able to print to a networked printer.

See: http://netsplit.com/2010/05/27/dependency-based-event-based-init-daemons-and-launchd/ (and look for "Take another service, for example, the printing service: CUPS. At first glance, you might believe that it can be on-demand activated when something connects to its socket.")

Best regards
Zygmunt Krynicki