Re: jessie release goals

On 2013-05-13 08:48:33 -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> On 05/13/2013 08:33 AM, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
>
> >]] Vincent Lefevre

> >>This is not the default configuration, just the default choice (it
> >>is not written "Default configuration").
> >
> >I'm looking forward to an essay on the differences between «the
> >configuration you end with when selecting the default choice» and
> >«the default configuration».
>
> It seems obvious to me.
>
> The default configuration is the one you get when not specifying any
> configuration at all. (E.g. when you omit a config file entirely, or
> include only a blank config file, or a config file with only comments.)

Via debconf, I assume that this means <Cancel>. With this choice,
debconf switches to "No configuration", which is not "Local only"
(tried with postfix 2.10.0-3).

Actually, "No configuration" makes me think of a default configuration
much more than "Local only".

> The configuration you get when specifying the default choice is whatever
> configuration the default choice defines, which may very well not be the
> same as not specifying any configuration at all.

And the default choice may depend on a previous dpkg-reconfigure
invocation. This makes things ambiguous when one thinks: "I want
to revert to the default configuration". That's not the default
choice.