Re: parsable copyright format 1.0 (jessie release goals)

On 05/12/2013 06:43 PM, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On 2013-05-12, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
>> archive to know what kind of license we're using. If we all work
>> a bit on our own packages, it should be fine, and at some
>> point, we should move forward. But does anyone think it is
>> too much work? I would understand that point of view.
> It is too much work for far too little gain. What *is* the gain?
> What is the gain of copyright files?

Being able to write tools to extract the license of any given package.
For example, we could see packages.d.o exposing the license of
any giving software. That would be really nice! A way better than
just linking to the copyright file. Or being able to build statistics,
or extract a subset of packages using this or that license. This
has already been done in the past, but this would make it a lot
more easy to do.

> I fought quite hard against the copyright file format but was promised
> that it wouldn't be something required.

At least *I* never did such promise.

Thomas