Re: alternative debian/rules

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 09:38:14AM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Well yes, but if you do even small things such as generate the
> package manually instead of using debhelper, prepare to be shouted
> at by the British Cabal with threats of using superpowers to remove
> such packages from Debian.

> And I thought it was about freedom of choice.

Debian is not really freedom of choice, we put quite a lot of
restrictions in the debian policy on what you may or may not do
in debian packages.

debian/rules is a bit of odd exception, where we tightly regulate
the output the file must produce, but the actual contents of the file
is a wild west. That is a major source of pain when doing
archive wide changes - no using build-arch target at buildd's for you!

Riku