Re: alternative debian/rules

On Fri, Apr 05, 2013 at 03:32:24PM +0400, Игорь Пашев wrote:
> I've just realized that debian/rules might not be a makefile, but can
> be a script in any language.

The policy says:

# 4.9. Main building script: `debian/rules'
# -----------------------------------------
#
#     This file must be an executable makefile, and contains the
#     package-specific recipes for compiling the package and building binary
#     package(s) from the source.

> Is there any package using debian/rules which is not a makefile?
> Are there any packages that can get advantages by using debian/rules
> written in bash/perl/python/etc?

Because of the following requirement, it's not that easy.

It can be done, here's an example how to use a JIT C compiler (tcc)
this way:
  dget http://angband.pl/debian/pool/main/g/goodbye/goodbye_0.2-1.dsc
although you might have trouble smuggling this through the FTPmasters :p

On the other hand, one of fresh DDs already thanked me for this example,
so be afraid.  Be very afraid.

Hope this helps :)

--
ᛊᚨᚾᛁᛏᚣ᛫ᛁᛊ᛫ᚠᛟᚱ᛫ᚦᛖ᛫ᚹᛖᚨᚲ