Re: Legal possibility of more open package reviews.

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 07:11:13PM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 04/10/2013 05:36 PM, Nicolas Dandrimont wrote:
> > The first point has been handled by zack, and we have on hand a legal document,
> > vetted by SFLC lawyers, that makes the mentors platform a "DMCA safe harbor".
>
> Does it mean that it is mandatory that mentors is hosted in USA?

Of course not. It means that if we decide to host in the US, where DMCA
is in effect, then we have the needed legal advice to go forward there.
Hosting it elsewhere means learning about similar legal challenges that
exist in the country of choice [1] and possibly seeking similar advice
*if* there are DMCA-like worries.

FWIW, as a project we have very good access to high quality, pro bono,
US lawyers at SFLC, but nothing equivalent (all factors considered) for
other countries.

Cheers.

[1] unfortunately, DMCA is not the only "bad" draconian law that exists
    around the world, many other countries have similar laws
Debian Project Leader . . . . . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .