Re: NEW processing during freezes (Was: R 3.0.0 and required rebuilds of all reverse Depends: of R)

2013/4/9 Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org>:
> If I upload new packages A and B, that A depends and B, and
> that A gets approved, but B doesn't, then we end up with
> package A being in Debian, but never installable.

That is unlikely to happen: dak has a colour scheme to identify
missing packages. It's also nice to identify packages who belong in
main, contrib, and non-free, just to avoid component mismatches.

> Now, if what you are suggesting that I should wait for B
> to be approved before uploading A, I think you aren't
> being realistic when the NEW queue has a 3 months
> waiting time. This might work with small projects, but
> if you have to maintain a complex set of packages, with
> lots of dependencies, it just doesn't work. Been there,
> tried that ...

Uploading packages in NEW which depend on other packages in NEW is
fine, as explained above. Dependencies will be reviewed first, and
when accepted, the other packages will be processed as well. The major
difficulty happens when the dependency chain is very complex (e.g. A
-> B -> C -> D -> E -> A), in that case it would help if maintainers
suggested the order in which to review packages.